
By Jamesetta D Williams
Questions are propping up concerning a high-level meeting between Justice Minister and Attorney General Cllr. N. Oswald Tweh and the Chargé d’Affaires of the United States Embassy sometimes.
The meeting came on the back of ongoing investigation into the US$317.68 million suspected cocaine trafficking case, for which citizens continue to demand answers over the pace of the investigation and the role of Liberia’s Joint Security and international partners.
The meeting, disclosed by Cllr. Tweh during Thursday’s press briefing, comes amid growing public concern over what many perceive as a slow-moving investigation into one of the country’s largest suspected drug seizures.
The development has fueled debate among Liberians, with some questioning the extent of cooperation between Liberia and the United States, whether the investigation has expanded to include members of the security sector, and what factors may be contributing to the pace of the investigation.
The Ministry of Justice, however, has not stated that any particular Joint Security officer is implicated, and the investigation remains ongoing.
Providing an update following the meeting, Cllr. Tweh disclosed that he met with the senior U.S. diplomat earlier in the day as part of ongoing cooperation between the Government of Liberia and the United States.
According to the Justice Minister, agents of the United States Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), together with members of Liberia’s Joint Security, are actively participating in the investigation.
He said the U.S. Government has expressed confidence in Liberia’s handling of the case, reaffirming the close collaboration between both governments to ensure that all those responsible are identified and prosecuted in accordance with the law.
Speaking during the press briefing at the Ministry of Information, Cllr. Tweh thanked Information Minister Jerolinmek Matthew Piah and members of the media before emphasizing that the government remains fully committed to identifying every individual connected to what he described as one of the most significant drug trafficking investigations in Liberia’s history.
The Government of Liberia remains fully committed to ensuring that everyone involved in this case is identified and brought before the law,” he said.
The Attorney General also addressed what he described as a growing trend of individuals publicly accusing others through radio talk shows, social media platforms, and other public forums without presenting credible evidence.
He stressed that the Ministry of Justice does not investigate or arrest individuals simply because their names are mentioned in public discussions.
We do not build criminal cases on rumors, speculation, or political commentary. We build cases on facts, evidence, and the law,” Cllr. Tweh declared.
He warned that acting on unverified allegations would unfairly damage the reputations of innocent people and undermine the credibility of Liberia’s justice system.
The Justice Minister explained that the Ministry’s responsibility is to determine whether credible information can be independently verified and whether the available evidence establishes probable cause for investigative or prosecutorial action.
According to him, where credible evidence exists, authorities will conduct thorough investigations; where probable cause is established, arrests will be made; and where sufficient evidence supports prosecution, charges will be filed. However, he emphasized that the government will not prosecute individuals merely to satisfy public opinion.
Cllr. Tweh also reminded citizens that while freedom of expression is constitutionally protected, it carries responsibility. He cautioned that publicly accusing individuals of serious criminal conduct without factual evidence does not assist law enforcement and may expose those making false allegations to legal consequences.
The Attorney General encouraged anyone with credible information relating to the investigation to report it directly to the Joint Security Task Force, the Liberia National Police, or any other relevant security agency.
He assured the public that all information would be assessed professionally, handled confidentially where appropriate, and acted upon in accordance with the law.
Reaffirming the government’s commitment, Cllr. Tweh declared that no individual is beyond the reach of justice, noting that previous investigations have involved public officials and security personnel whenever evidence warranted such action.
He pledged that the government would not hesitate to investigate any individual, including senior government officials, if credible evidence implicates them.
If the evidence points to any government official or any other individual, the government will not hesitate to investigate, make arrests where necessary, file charges, and prosecute in accordance with the law,” he stated.
Concluding his remarks, the Justice Minister appealed to the public to allow investigators to carry out their work without interference and urged citizens to support the rule of law by sharing verified information rather than spreading rumors.
He stressed that justice is achieved through credible evidence, due process, and the fair application of the law—not through speculation or trial by public opinion.



